SO, on October 7, 2014, the world will change forever. Well, not really. What’s actually going to happen is my next novel, We Are Not Good People, will be released. Whether or not I spend 2015 dancing on street corners for nickels or ordering rounds of drinks for strangers as I blaze, briefly, in alcoholic splendor before doctors arrive to harvest my ruined body for parts, depends entirely on what happens in the bookstores and online venues in the days and weeks afterwards.
In the past, with the Avery Cates novels, I organized a Street Team (organized may be a strong word here) to help with promotion, and we had a lot of fun, so I’m doing the same, gathering blackguards and bravos from around the world to help make it seem like a passably good idea to spend money on my book. And I want you to join the Street Team. It will be ever so much fun.
We have a forum: http://wearenotgoodpeople.freeforums.net/
The book has a website: www.wearenotgoodpeople.com
I understand your hesitation. I am a notably unreliable author who is easily distracted by glasses of booze and things like videos of kittens acting surprised. So, here are
REASONS TO BE ON THE WANGP STREET TEAM
- You love me. You may not realize it, but you do.
- You fear me and know if my writering career goes south I will start showing up at your door, begging for a couch to sleep on.
- There will be swag — free books, signed things, T-shirts, bookmarks, anything else we cook up to give away or what have you, Street Team members will get first dibs. In the past every member got a T-shirt or a hat and some other stuff just for being awesome.
- Meet new people! Who are not me pretending to be other people just to make my Street Team seem huge and imposing, promise.
- All Street Team members pat and present earn the Right of Cocktails, which means they can march up to me at any time under any circumstances and, once they’ve identified themselves, demand that I buy them a drink, and I will.
- Did I mention the swag?
- The forum is there to exchange ideas and suggestions, so if you’ve ever wanted to humiliate and destroy me publicly (and who hasn’t) here is your chance. Why not suggest I dress up in a pig outfit and dance on your lawn? Because if everyone on the Street Team votes for it, I will totally do that.
- The abbreviation of We Are Not Good People is WANGP, so you get to throw around the word “Wang” a lot and no one can complain.
- Someday, when they decide to make a documentary about me (most probably because I snap mentally in 2016 and start showing up in public in a pig outfit and dancing, eventually becoming known as The Pork Avenger) they will totally come to interview you about it.
- Because I am dancing for right now, even though you can’t see it. And also weeping. How can you be so cruel?
So there you have it. There’s no official sign up or anything — just participate. Send me your contact info via email or message, let me know you’re interested, join the forum and say hello and suggest things. What can you suggest? Well, anything:
- If you know of a bookstore that would love to have me come read, let me know.
- Ideas for swag or giveaways
- Ideas for digital graphics that I could create and distribute
- Forums or other sites that people could post on
- Ways to tweet and post about the books (or my other books), write reviews, or otherwise spread the word
Or, just lurk until something gets suggested that appeals to you. Literally, anything you want to do is appreciated and I’ll be extremely grateful for.
Onward! I’ve just discovered I will have to have my Pork Avenger outfit let out a little. I’m … not a young man any more.